Ahhh.. a new year comes with this mindset of a fresh start and a new beginning, right?! We set out to achieve goals we’ve had for years and or add a few more to the list. We have these goals and destinations we want to meet for a reason. However, through distractions, temptations, and failures we allow these goals to fizzle out within the first month or two because we aren’t seeing the progress we are expecting. We are to quick to jump the gun to abort mission when it gets hard.
Friends, as someone who has been there and struggled for YEARS to keep my own New Years resolutions; I discovered some key ingredients that enabled me to FINALLY reach my lifelong goals. I want to briefly share with you my 5 tips on how to reach these goals and keep your New Years resolutions.
- Mindset IS everything- I believe a positive mindset changes everything. The way you view yourself, your challenges, and your method, will either create success or be your greatest downfall. Think about it, if you go into this year with the mindset, you’re going to “try” something… you’ll try it alright. But eventually, it will be a thing of the past because trying implies doing it until it gets hard. You need to speak life into yourself, telling yourself you can! Don’t focus on how many times you failed. Focus on each day as it comes to better your life and be one step closer to your goals.
- Commitment- Piggybacking on my first tip, Commit to your goals 100%. Be all in. I am not saying you need to do this perfectly without failures. Quite the contrary. It didn’t take me a little over 2 years to lose 90 pounds because I did it perfectly. I was able to reach this goal despite the weeks the scale didn’t read what I wanted. I was able to pick myself back up after a weekend of consuming a sick amount of calories. Allow yourself to fall. Plan for it, it happens. What matters is how you dust yourself off and get back to it.
- Sacrifice- Yes, there will be times you need to deny yourself. Depending on your goals; weightloss, career related… etc. Sacrifices of your time, energy, and willpower will be challenged. Of course, you need to occasionally have a treat or take a break from building your empire to go out with friends. But daily you will need to accept that it will be required to change your habits to get to your destination. You can’t expect to hit goals when you’re not willing to make sacrifices with your time and routine.
- Self Love- To go back and also piggyback from what I said on my first tip, you NEED to love yourself THROUGHOUT your journey. You don’t just magically hit your goal and then start loving yourself. Friends, this is so crucial and yet our biggest downfall in what I believe is a key reason why people don’t have LASTING results. They don’t see their worth and they give up. Why work hard and bust your butt for something when you don’t think you’re worth fighting for. Trust me, I get that it’s hard to love yourself when you 250+ pounds and feel disgusted to very core. But friends, taking the time to seek the good in your life and speak positively about yourself will allow you to create this positive mindset that will ultimately drive you towards success. Clearly, I don’t mean and am saying to walk around thinking you’re the greatest thing since sliced bread. But as a C average overweight student who didn’t have a drive for life, I desperately needed to forgive myself from past failures and hurts to allow myself to heal and begin to embrace not only my strengths but my flaws which make up who I am. Friends, we do this simply by voicing words of affirmation and love into our day. Silencing the voice of negativity when it tries to creep in. Stop brushing off compliments we receive and accept them as sweet words of encouragement.
- Patience- If you can focus on the previous 4 tips and realize it won’t happen overnight, I guarantee you will be successful. You didn’t get to where you are today, overnight. It took time to form and create poor habits. It will take time to undo them and form new ones. But friends, if you accept that the time will pass anyway, being patient with yourself shouldn’t be an issue. Don’t focus on how far you have to go and how long it will take. Depending on your goals that could be daunting to some. Focus on taking each day as it comes, incorporating the best choices you can in the moment you’re in. Regardless what happened yesterday or even last Tuesday. Make each day a new day for an opportunity to move towards creating and allowing yourself to have the life you want.
I hope you find these tips encouraging as you embark on a New Year filled with new opportunities. I believe in YOU. Go get em!